Monday, April 5, 2010

I know, I know...finally!

WHAT?? A new blog from me!!?? I know, I know...it's been a long time!! So where to even begin, especially with all the new changes in our life? Let's begin with the whole reason I started this blog and give a cancer update...

I'm currently 9 days past my 4th round of chemo. I seriously cannot believe there's only 2 left! Maybe because, back in January when I started this madness, I thought "in the spring, when the weather is nice, I'll be finished!" And here it's been sunny and 80 in early April, so I feel like I'm almost there. Most of what I've read is true. Chemo (or, specifically the days post-chemo) definitely gets harder as it goes on. I skipped my way through that first treatment, my one day prednisone crash being the only bump in the road. Since then, I've had severe sinus infections that I had to take medication for, sore throats, heartburn that makes me want to cry, stomachache's that have kept me up half the night in pain, and, yes, even a little nausea. My taste is changing a bit and, thanks to my PICC line flushing, I have a salty/saline taste in my mouth pretty often. The neuropathy in my fingers is on the same level of intensity, but is lasting longer, not necessarily going away between treatments. The fatigue is unreal. BUT....

The tumor appears to be gone. You can't see it. You can't feel it. Testing after the baby's born will obviously give the whole story. But for now I'm going to live in my own happy little universe that I'm normal, healthy person again who just has to do 2 more rounds of "just to be safe" chemo.

Then there's my darlin baby girl. I'm 31 weeks, 2 days and at about 29 weeks I had an ultrasound showing that she is growing strong and healthy! The high risk OB that I see said if he didn't know my story, he would have assumed it was any other 29 week baby! My amniotic fluid is slightly high, though, and needs monitoring so I'll be going back for another u/s at the end of the month to see how it is. She's a little mover, though, even more than Anya was. I love sitting and watching my stomach ripple out where she's turning or a foot or hand is pushing. Anya is getting a huge kick out of it, too, and likes to rub my belly or rest her head on me and sing to her sister. It's a beautiful thing, watching the bond they're already forming and I hope it stays strong throughout their life.

The big change around here is our move. Without going into the big, long story, we realized that we needed to plan for worst case scenario and how we would handle it. And knew the best place to be was back in VA, with Mark on shore duty. The Navy honored our request and about 2 weeks ago we made the big move from NH back to Norfolk. Moving halfway through chemo, in my third trimester, with a 2 year old? Yep, can check that off my list of things I've done in my life! It was a little nerve racking changing doctors, especially when I loved my cancer center in Exeter so much. The Naval Hospital here has been great, but I miss my volunteers in NH, especially the massage lady!! And there's no comparison for how wonderful my oncologist there was! On the plus side, I'm being seen in the same location for both cancer and baby so it's good to have everything all inclusive. And they even got me a home nurse to come out to take care of my PICC line! I love being back in our house and Anya is LOVING her big backyard. Mark has some time off before going back to work and he's busy building her a playground and putting in a garden for me. So I feel "home" again and it's good for my soul.

Ok, I'm going to try and do this but I'm sure I'll leave someone out and I'm so sorry for it!!
Thanks and lots of love to:
All the OKC wives for the love, laughs, support, and sisterhood
Jenn T. for the cards, info., and carseat (Anya calls it "Alan's seat")
Kaylyn for all the clothes (Anya asks me daily if she's wearing Morgie's shirt!)
Jenny J. for a million reasons but specifically the angel
Kelly for the bracelet and card (I love it!)
Danielle for the beautiful, sweet quotes
My secret gift fairy for my final gift before I left
Aunt Donna and Uncle Steve for the cards and flowers (SO pretty!!)
Aunt Edna for the emails
Kate and BC for the incredible food when we got into Norfolk (There's nothing like home cooked food, but it's even better after a week of take out!)
James for telling me I look "so cool" with no hair
Lucy for asking how I can get barrettes to stay in with no hair :)
My mom for coming in for my 3rd treatment...you have no idea how much I needed you just then...thank you and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment