Saturday, February 13, 2010

2 down, 4 to go!

Here it is on my second day after my second treatment at 8:30 am and I'm the only one awake in the house. I know, I know. I should be happy it's not 4 am. But waking up before your 2 year old? Not fair! But awake I am, with some nausea to go with it. I just took some Zofran and hoping it goes away quickly, like it did yesterday.

My sister came into town on Wed., which gave me a great focus all week. The nerves about treatment went on the back burner because I was so excited to see her. So I went into Thurs. feeling confident. The day started off questionable, though. Before they could begin we had to make sure my white blood cells had gone back up, so they had to draw blood. Sarah tried pulling from my PICC line but it was coming out SO SLOW. When she finally got enough, she handed it off to the lab tech, who came back about 5 mins. later and said it came so slowly into the tube that it clotted. So they had to go into my vein on my left arm to draw from. Boo. Half the point of the PICC is so I don't have to be stuck with a bunch of needles. But all my numbers were GREAT, so the pharmacist made up my treatment.

I have nothing interesting to report about the actual chemo. It went very smoothly and they were able to do it quicker since I handled it well last time. Alyssa and I had a fun, relaxing time. She kicked my butt in an ongoing game of rummy (I blame the drugs for making me sleepy). We did some arts and crafts. Had a good lunch. Laughed quite a bit. We decided that chemo day is what we imagine life in a nursing home to be like.

The day took a turn, though, when I was supposed to be done. Chemo was finished and Sarah had to flush my PICC lines, clean the area underneath, and put on fresh bandage. She put the saline into the first line (the chemo line), it was pumping in fine, she drew back slightly and got blood back, so she continued pushing the fluid in. Normal. Then she tried the TPN line. And none of the saline would push in. After a few tries from the other nurses, she went and got Dr. H who said to call the PICC line nurse who placed it and see what she said to do. She said to use a low dose blood thinner, Heparin, on the chemo line and try the TPN again. Which would have been fine, except now nothing was going into my chemo line! So I was then completely reclined in my chair so my head was below my feet, surrounded by 3 nurses, Dr. H, and the medical director. And my poor sister who was probably freaked out. All I could think is "please work! I do not want this removed and another put in after passing out the last time." That's right, people. Chemo doesn't bother me, but a PICC line procedure makes me want to cry like a small child. The PICC nurse suggested to Dr. H that they give me Kumadin, a major blood thinner. He told her no way, not a pregnant woman. I love that man. Eventually, it was Dr. H who got the Heparin into my chemo line. The hope is that it will help thin out my blood just enough to break up the clot in my TPN line. I have to go back Mon. for another flush and since I'm apparently a "high risk clotter" (no surprise since I'm pregnant) I have to go twice a week for flushes. So, prayers please that the TPN line clears because I don't know what the next step is if it doesn't.

I have more to report, like how my hair is now officially about a 1/2 inch long and I'm the proud owner of a wig, but I'll save it for the next blog so I can get some pictures first.

Thank you's and lots of love to:
Lisa T. for the wonderful card and gift card (that was so sweet and unexpected!)
The Tubman family for the card (Jenn, let little Alan know his is on my fridge)
Danielle for the inspirational quotes in the mail
Aunt Donna and Uncle Steve for the card that had me cracking up
Aunt Edna for the encouraging advice on my hair falling out
All the facebook messages and comments from so many of you...some make me cry, most make laugh, but all of them mean a lot to me
The girls back home for the emails that never fail to amuse me
My mom for not crying when she saw me on Skype yesterday with the new hair
Brendon and my Dad for the phone calls to check in
Mark and Anya for the beautiful flowers after treatment
Alyssa, for a million reasons, but mainly for just being the best sister anyone could ever ask for. I'm so happy your were able to be here. If Anya and the new baby have the relationship we have, I'll be a proud mom!!

1 comment:

  1. Deanna, No, I didn't cry when I saw your new haircut. It's just hair (or no hair, pretty soon!) It doesn't change you! You're still the amazing daughter, mother, sister, & wife you've always been. I am so proud of the way you are handling all of this. Your resolve has helped me every day. I, too, am thankful that not only are you and Alyssa so close but all three of my children help comfort each other.

    ReplyDelete